Saturday, November 03, 2007

Gauge is a Filthy Stinking Liar

But you already knew that. Apparently, however, I'm a bit slow, because I was honestly surprised by these two situations.

First are the Harry Potter Bookscarves out of the Charmed Knits book. This is the same pattern, same yarn, same needles for all bookscarves. I even made the exact same pattern modifications in every single one.

Here are the bottoms all lined up nice and neat on a piece of graph paper...


And here are the tops of those same bookscarves.

WTF????

Next up: Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket. I started with Cascade 220 Superwash on size 7 needles.

But I decided the fabric was too tight (especially for Los Angeles) and went up two needle sizes to a size 9. The fabric was much more relaxed and more what I was looking for in a sweater. But here's the catch.

The stitch per inch count was almost exactly the same. I knew you all wouldn't believe me (heck, I don't believe me!) so here's photographic evidence.

Size 7


Size 9


Like I said...A filthy stinking liar.

Lynda the Guppy
aka The Fish With Sticks

1 comment:

Krystal said...

Hmm... I counted ten spi in the size 7 needles and 9 on the size 9's... but I could be wrong. :) And, you're right. Gauge LIES lol