Monday, August 27, 2007

Catching Up: Phoenix

You know, there are a TON of things I would post about on a regular basis. And what's holding me back is, primarily, the time to upload the photos that go with. So today, I'm playing catch up. To spare those with dialup (and even those without) I'm posting thumbnails. Click any of them for the full picture. Also, I'm breaking this up because it's WAAAAY too long otherwise. LOL

And you might want to send out for some food. You're going to be here a while. LOL...

I spent 2 months flying back and forth nearly every week from Los Angeles to Phoenix for work. My job and my boss moved and I looked around at the dry, brown, hotter-than-the-surface-of-the-sun Phoenix and said "NO WAY!" LOL Too hot for me out there.

While flying I worked on a sock...

And then ripped it back completely. A shop owner out there told me the best way to beat SSS is to do them both at once. For some reason that was a concept that had eluded me. LOL So I completely ripped it back. And since I ripped it...what about making the Jaywalkers? So I've re-cast on about a month ago and haven't touched it since.

While there I also worked on a scarf for my best friend out of some Alpaca sportweight she sent This turned out to be the pattern from hell. It's a pretty pattern with no errors that I noticed, and the yarn is PERFECT for it, as it has a bit of a halo from the Alpaca and a lovely shine from the silk, but it kicked my ass. What you see there is absolutely as far as I had been able to get, and it took me about 15 tries and nearly two weeks to get THAT far. Needless to say, It has since been frogged...

...A pink scarf for my cousin that I am discovering I don't like. LOL. I'm still plugging away on it, though, so she may see it in 2020...



And now Shameless Plug #1...

While in Phoenix the first weekend, I quickly found the local restaurants, grocery store, bookstore, and yarn store. Not necessarily in that order, you understand. And while surfing through the NUMEROUS sites for all the yarn stores in the Phoenix area, I found Tempe Yarn and Fiber. They are wonderful. The couple that own and run it are so helpful. I went once to one of their knitting nights and found everyone there to be sweet and funny and they welcomed me immediately and in the few sporadic visits I made there, I never felt for a single moment like I was unwelcome or intruding into an already established group. And the owner (and I feel like a total jerk, as I cannot for the life of me remember her name) was ALWAYS willing to just whip out the yarn and show me something or help me with anything I needed. Had I thought to pack my spindle, she could have taught me to spin, too. And since she was ever so patient with my questions, I know she would have been an EXCELLENT teacher.

If you're ever in the area, stop in. Lovely yarns, and lovelier people.

Next up...Sedona

The Guppy
aka The Fish With Sticks

No comments: